tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 07 07:12:27 1994

Re:E-prime

charghwI' wrote:

>I hope this helps some. In English, we depend so much on "to
>be". For those who have never heard of it, there is an
>artificially created dialect of Engllish called "E-prime" which
>is exactly like English, except that it uses no form of the
>verb "to be". Try it out sometime. Don't try to speak it. You
>will fail. Instead, write it and expect to edit your writing a
>lot.
>
>Meanwhile, things written in E-Prime contain a greater richness
>in attention to the quality of the conveyance of honest
>thought. One describes what one senses, without lazy and often
>inaccurate judgements about the nature of things. One does not
>casually speak of the future with presumptions and promises as
>likely forgotten as kept. One merely states what one observes
>and suggests what one believes. One respects the listener to be

                          ^^^

                           !!!!
>capable of reaching their own conclusions about the nature of
>things.
>
>That last paragraph was written in E-Prime. This one isn't.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
George Aaron Broadwell,  [email protected]
Anthropology; Linguistics and Cognitive Science,
 SUNY-Albany, Albany, NY 12222
"Unless one is a genius, it is best to aim at being intelligible"
 -- Anthony Hope

Back to archive top level