tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 04 14:50:39 1994

Re: Fwd:re: Re: Good day to die.

As a long time member of this list and coordinator of the
Klingon Language Postal COurse I regularly come across attempts
to translate the phrase (here we go again)

      "It is a good day to die."

We have yet to find a satifactory translation even though we have
ALOT of attempts.

I am going to  providing each example and let the grammarians show
the reasons why they dont do the job.

Hegh(wIj)vaD QaQ DaHjaj

Hegh(lu')meH QaQ DaHjaj

Hegh(lu')meH QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'

HeghghachvaD QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'

HeghghachvaD QaQ DaHjaj

No dought newbies to the list and the postal course will attempt to
trans this phrase...FOREVER...(ugh) sence is does bring a fire to the
belly of would-be Klingons.

That is just one thing I am going to have to live with but could
some one more lingisticly savvy than I post a pithy and turgid
explaination as to WHY THIS PHRASE IS SO HARD.

I will copy it and just send it to them when they ask.

--
David Barron || [email protected]  ||   lup Hoch yIyInqu'
   Klingon Language Postal Course       ||   qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level