tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 29 11:16:12 1994

please pay some respect t

Hi David,

David E G Sturm wrote:

DS>Please forgive our horrendous anglophonism.... It is essentially a
DS>leftover from the early days when we were only an American phenomenon.
DS>Now that Klingon thru KLI membership is now international, it is a relic
DS>which should indeed be amended to "Discussions or any conversation
DS>conducted in the Klingon language, or discussion *about* the Klingon
DS>language in local Terran languages, with an English text provided along
DS>with any other Terran language..."
DS>
DS>Sad reality is that English is becoming the language of the Internet
DS>(although some might argue it's binary :-).  Another key factor is that
DS>the only dictionary provided so far is "English-Klingon, Klingon-English".

Just my 0.02c worth. I am not English, my home language is Afrikaans,
however I do not have a problem with the fact that the list is about
Klingon <-> English. I appreciate the Klingon / English translations
appended by some people to their mail, as I am a rank beginner.  I
believe that is however where it should stay, if a person will have to
provide an English translation of his French text, then why not do it in
English from the start?

English is after all internationally recognised. It is not a case of
lessening the importance of other languages, but I want to be able to
communicate with Sami in Finland, and with others in a medium we all
understand. And until we all know Klingon that language must be one we all
understand.

Qapla' - Pierre

... What do you mean, QWK? It took me over an hour to read!
---
 . SPEED 1.40 [NR] .

----
Digitec Online - South Africa
Telnet: bbs.digitec.co.za or 196.11.62.106

Back to archive top level