tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 29 05:25:20 1994

Cop

>\ Isn't cop an old *British* word (verb) meaning "catch"?
>\ [originates: Fr. caper = seize]
>
>Yes, but in American slang, "cop" means "police officer".  It goes back
>to the British, I'm sure, but I'm also sure that the American is the direct
>antecedent of the Klingon.

Sorry...you're both wrong.  Cop is an acronym for Constable on Patrol.  But
it's *is* British...and we do use it to mean Police officer :-).

Back to lurking...

Alicia
STREK-L Moderator/Trek Mother :-)
Cmdr. A'lia
CEO in Charge of Brussel Sprouts, USS Radish
Founding Member, STHL (But I'm feeling *much* better now!)
STREK-L@PCCVM Refugee

Back to archive top level