tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 28 18:41:29 1994

Re: jIngo'qu'

According to Joel Anderson:

> qoS vanmey mungeHtaH ghotpu'
> Satlho'qu'!
>
> 'ach vItlhob:
>
>  > jar wa'maH cha'DIch jaj wejmaH loSmaH DISmey vIghaj je.
>    ~~~~October 2nd~~~~~~~~  30      40  ?  years I have  and

Not quite. Note the suffix {-DIch}. When it goes on a number,
it makes the numbers "ordinal". {wa'} is "one", but {wa'DIch}
is "first". So {wa'maH cha'DIch} is "12th", and ordinal
numbers always follow the noun that it describes, so {jar
wa'maH cha'DIch} is "12th month". I should have put {-DIch} on
30 as well, though I think at the time, I was thinking in terms
of "Day #30", which would leave the bare number following its
noun. Still, that is obviously confusing, since it is right
next to {loSmaH}, which is the number applied to {DISmey}. It
should have been:

jar wa'maH cha'DIch jaj wejmaHDIch loSmaH DISmey vIghaj je.

"On the 30th day of the 12th month, I will have 40 years as
well."

>  > bImobbe'. qatlhej. manqan, 'ach naghmey vItoSlaH vaj jIqanqu'be'.
>                       ^^^^^^ ?? man-"be old"?
>
> I see I probably should have said jIqanqu'.  But I agree - one is only
> as old as they feel, and if they feel like climbing rocks - they are
> not old.

And this one DEFINITELY feels like climbing rocks. Were I but
cliffside, even now...
--

 \___
 o_/ \