tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 22 06:31:10 1994

Re: Some simple phrases

>Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 17:54:56 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]>

>[email protected] writes:
>\ Could someone pass judgement on the following phrases?  I'm pretty sure
>\ they're unexceptionable (two of them are even in the handy phrases section
>\ of TKD), but I'd like confirmation before I speak them on national TV.

>Well, I dunno if I'm qualified to "pass judgement", but . . .

Nothing personal, but... you're not.  I don't mean to squash nacent
self-confidence, but if you'll re-read the FAQ for this list (you should
have gotten a copy when yoiu subscribed), I think you'll find a passage
about waiting for the Grammarian(s) to correct stuff.  That's what we're
here for, after all!  So, please, give me a chance (or charghwI', for
beginner stuff).

>\     tlhInganHol Dajatlh DaneH'a'
>\     Would you like to speak Klingon?
>Assuming you're speaking to one person, that's fine (although tlhIngan and Hol
>are two separate words).  If you're speaking to more than one person, then you
>want  { . . . bojatlh boneH'a'} instead.

Yes, I'd usually use tlhIngan Hol as two words.

>\     HIjol
>\     Beam me up.
>Fine.

Close enough.

>\     qama'pu' tISuqbe'
>\     Take no prisoners.  (Could this be clipped to qama'pu' Suqbe'?)
>Probably.  I personally tend to avoid Clipped Klingon, since it mostly exists
>as a backfit to the first movie (and to a subtitle change in the third), but
>leaving off imperative prefixes is a perfect case for clipping.

The sentence is wrong anyway.  For negative commands, use -Qo', not -be'.
And a better verb would be "jon" (capture).  So.... qama'pu' tIjonQo'!

>\     nuqDaq yuch Dapol
>\     Where do you keep the chocolate?
>Fine.

Yes, from the book.  Needless to say, to more than one person, it'd be
bopol.

~mark

Back to archive top level