tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 21 15:23:59 1994

Re: Idea.

On Sun, 20 Nov 1994, ...Paul wrote:

> a window next to comm program and translate that way.  But if you're just
> flipping pages in TKD while staring at the screen, you'll not only get
> confused (wait!  was that an object or a subject???), but you'll get
> frustrated looking up every word.  And if the verb or noun has more than
> one suffix on it, forget it; it's too much trouble.  (Not really, but a
> beginner would think so).

I've been on this list for about a week and a half.  The first 4 or 5
days almost everything was in English...fine...then the last few
days...Blammo!  Big Huge Total-Klingon posts which is cool.  As a result
my TKD is a smoking pile of ashes :) (Not in the sense that I got
disgusted with the whole thing and sacrificed it to the god of your
choice, but the sense that I've been flipping through it like Johnny 5
searching for "input").  BUT, I'm picking up words like crazy.  Sure I'm
45 messages behind and it takes me thirty minutes to read one post, but
hey, nobody said it would be easy.

> We need to think of some way in which to get beginners to write in small
> blocks.  Very small blocks; one or two sentences at a time; more importantly,
> perhaps, very SIMPLE sentences.

QaQ qechlIj -- 'e' napba''a'?

> Perhaps something "interactive"?  Maybe a "Lesson of the week"?  Someone
> (one of the KLBC grammarians?) could just post a "Lesson of the Week:
> This week, joining nouns in sentences".  Don't even worry about a lack of
> feedback.  Included could be a "self-quiz", etc.  And then, during the
> week, those confused could ask questions specifically about the "lesson".

When I was reading your post, I was thinking...What if charghwI' or mark
posted some sort of reading material...(maybe a story or just complete
rambling -- it doesn't matter)..then, perhaps a day or so later post the
translation.  I suppose they could both be posted at the same time and
the you could ignore the translation until you are ready for it.  But
anyway, the reading material could enforce important words that are used
frequently.

Whether anyone does this or not, I just want to say:

tlhIngan Hol vIghItlh 'e' vImevQo'! qaqoy'!  reH jabbI'IDlIj muQaH.

> ..Paul

johnny

Back to archive top level