tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 15 15:43:28 1994

Re: NY-area Klingonists take note!

> It was a so-so appearence, actually (at least I thought so).  They had a
> whole mess of fans in costume outside a theatre in NY where the movie will
> be previewed, together with Lawrence and the Good Day New York reporter.
> Periodically throughout the show they'd return to that story, as the
> reporter was slowly made up into a Klingon (good makeup job!
> Professional.) and sometimes he'd let Lawrence get in a word or three.
> Didn't really give Lawrence a chance to portray us as a serious
> organization (i.e. doing linguistics, not just ST fandom), but hey, what
> can you do.  It's publicity and all.
>
> ~mark

I'd have to agree, overall I think I'd have rather stayed at home,
instead of getting up at 4 a.m. to take a train into New York for a
morning show. The original intent of the people who brought me in (an
advertising company that is promoting the new ST film) was for me to
teach the show's host how to pronounce some Klingon and have him throw
out a few phrases. The plan of the show's on-site director was a bit
different still, and the host decided to ignore everybody and assume that
I was a spokesman for Klingon fandom and a sociologist doing research on
the whole ST phenommenon.

The shoot was pretty chaotic, lots of transmission problems, and very
little warning sometimes for my own role in things (a mike was shoved
into my hands one time and someone whisperered "quick, start speaking
Klingon!" What fun.)

The highlight for me was the last sentence I got in, just before the show
closed, a plea for any listening Klingon speakers with inside information
(seemed better than putting his face on a milkcarton):

                     nuqDaq 'oH HoD Qanqor'e'

Lawrence
--
:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::

Back to archive top level