tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 29 09:14:22 1994

a note from the KLI

Now that the KLI has at long last achieved status as a tax exempt nonprofit
organization we can move ahead with a number of plans.  Since a large portion
of our membership receives this mailing list I thought I'd share some of the
ideas (and their reasonings) with you.

1) I've already applied for nonprofit postal rate with the Flourtown, PA
branch of the U.S. Post Office.  If this comes through (and it should) then
our mailing costs drop significantly.  Trust me, this is a very good thing.

2) I have drafted letters (and intend on mailing them out next week) to such
folks as Rick Berman and Michael Pillar, informing them of the mission of the
KLI, identifying our concern for use of Klingon in feature films, ST:DSN, the
new spinoff due out in 1985, and any other "commercial" endeavors (e.g.,
Pizza Hut) that may occur, as well as our willingness to provide grammatical
translations upon request in a timely fashion and at no charge (save perhaps
a credit for the translators).  I truly hope that they will avail themselves
of this offer.  All we can do is make it.

3) Greater peer review of articles submitted to HolQeD.  Some of this had
already been under way, and more of it is happening even as I type this.  The
idea is simple.  To produce the most coherent and insightful articles
possible requires a professional level of scrutiny and review, not just by a
single editor, but by a number of different readers who approach each article
from different perspectives.  Peer review is usually done blindly, with
neither the author nor the reviewers knowing who the other is.  This does NOT
mean that HolQeD will be incomprehensible to anyone without an advanced
degree.  It DOES mean that the articles you read should be clearer, their
critical ideas more refined and easily understood.  A real win-win situation.

4) The translation projects will be able to move ahead with the very real
outcome of publication.  As a charitable organization, the KLI is now in a
position to apply for support from a number of private foundations and
funding agencies.  The goal will be to raise sufficient monies to allow the
translated materials to see not only the light of day, but real distribution.
 This gets a little tricky in the legal side of things, but the KLI is
fortunate enough to have a number of lawyers will to handle that portion of
things, completely pro bono (i.e., FREE!), and I am very grateful for their
help.  If you are a translator working in either (or both) the KBTP or the
KSRP you will be receiving a letter from me in the near future.  This letter
will describe an agreement between you and the KLI which will satisfy the
legal concerns (and you DON'T want me to tell you what a painful headache
it's been working through them) and allow us to go ahead and actually publish
things like HAMLET and the BIBLE.

These are the big things that have been set into motion.  I want to add that
although I'm the one who has the pleasure of writing these notes and sharing
the news with you, I'm not the one responsible for most of it.  You are.  The
KLI has been the recipient of support and assistance from many many people in
the Klingon language community.  It exists because of you, and it exists to
serve you.  Before closing I just wanted to say thanks, your efforts have
carried us this far, and will continue to do great things in the time ahead.

Qapla'

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::

Back to archive top level