tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 27 01:28:07 1994

more on stylistics

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Thu, 26 May 94 17:47:51 EDT

>1) {...'e' Qub} : "I think that..."
>This is extremely idiomatic to English and a few related languages, am I
>right? A much more acceptable way to render this would be {-law'}. TKD *says*
>{-law'} is used to mean "I think" or "I suspect". The verb {Qub} is probably
>closer to describing cranial activity. My usage of {Qub} would follow "think
>*about*".

>{tlheDlaw'pu'}  "I think she has left."

I agree that {Qub} means to me more like "cerebrate", "ruminate", "think
about", than the idiomatic English use of it for "believe", but I wouldn't
come down on not using "-law'" so hard.  "-law'" is definitely a good,
concise way of getting the concept across, but I'd agree with nick that
"'e' vIHar" also works well.  Sometimes the weighiness of a longer
construction gets points across better, sometimes you just feel like it.
But "Har" is certainly better than "Wub" for this usage.

>2) {...'e' vItul} : "I hope that..."
>This bothers me not because I find it idomatic to the wrong language, but
>because {-jaj} expresses this so much more effectively and efficiently. Of
>course, (doubting I need to say this:), just because the optative mood is
>more often rendered with the verb "hope" in English does not mean anything as
>far as Klingon goes.

>{DaHjaj SISjaj}  "I hope it rains today."

Here I'm less in agreement with you.  Maybe I think of "-jaj" still as too
formalistic a construction, for use in toasts and prayers and well-wishing,
but I still like "'e' vItul" in a lot of places.  Note that "-jaj" really
only works well when it's the speaker's hope.  "The captain hoped the enemy
would die" really has to be "Hegh jagh 'e' tul HoD".  Somehow it seems a
little weird to demand that this construction totally change just if the
captain happens to be the speaker.

>Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

~mark

Back to archive top level