tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 26 11:30:07 1994

Re: more on stylistics

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' [email protected] jay'?

=This is extremely idiomatic to English and a few related languages, am I
=right? A much more acceptable way to render this would be {-law'}. TKD *says*
={-law'} is used to mean "I think" or "I suspect". The verb {Qub} is probably
=closer to describing cranial activity. My usage of {Qub} would follow "think
=*about*".

This pops up in Esperanto, too. What we do there, and what I've been doing in
Klingon, is to use 'e' vIHar instead. "Mi pensas ke" instead of "Mi opinias
ke" sounds to me like something of a barbarism --- unfortunately, it's a
very *common* barbarism. You're right about -law', of course; thence "Lately
I guess my mind's more at ease" = "qaStaHvIS Hu' jIHvaD jotlaw' yab" (I've
been singing this a *lot* lately. No chance of us recording Klingon songs
for fan distribution?

=Still, Nick, you might tone it down just a bit. Some might say, tone it down
=a lot.

Would that I knew how to ;).

=Finally: As I have a bit of notoriety concerning my peeve about there being
=no SASs, well, I've come to accept that as my brain's little way of clinging
=to English. Otherwise there's very little doubt that Klingon probably does
=quite well without any SAS.

Klingon does well without a number of things. But what's wrong with just
using something like wanI'vam for your anaphor?
--
Nick.

Back to archive top level