tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 25 22:37:33 1994

News and Announcements

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Tue, 24 May 94 23:56:56 EDT

>1) I had a long chat with Marc Okrand the other day.  He and I discussed some
>innovative ways to work around his schedule and lack of time.  There are some
>ideas in the works, folks, and if things go as I believe they will, you can
>expect to see quite a bit from Dr. Okrand on a regular basis in future issues
>of HolQeD, quite possibly even as soon as the next issue!

Hey hey!  Finally getting the creator *involved* for a change.  That would
be nice.

>3) Marc has NOT been contacted by Paramount for the new film.  He suspects
>there WILL be Klingon in the film, but that it will be the same Klingon we've
>come to know and loathe from recent seasons of TNG and DSN.

Blech.  We must not allow this to happen.  Now that we're a real live
non-profit organization (mIpchoHbe'bogh DIvI' -- so long as we're not a
mIpbe'choHbogh DIvI'!), can we try to lean on P'mount a little, make them
tunr to us for Klingon translations?  We have some folks here who can turn
out respectable Klingon in no time flat, and if they can be reached they
can likely give turnaround in a matter of minutes.  And if they can't,
well, the Paramount folks are no worse off than they were before; they'll
fall back on gibberish.  We really have to see about this; it's bad enough
that Pizza Hut publicizes fake Klingon, but when Paramount does, Klingon
loses its name recognition.  "Oh, you study Klingon?  So you can understand
what's in the movies?"  "Well, not exactly; they don't use this Klingon in
the movies."  "Then in what sense are you speaking Klingon?  You've just
got Yet Another humdrum boring old conlang you made up!"  Klingon needs its
name-recognition to reach latent and active Star Trek fans, or we become
another curiosity, studied only by academicians.  Not that this is a really
bad thing (I happen to *like* those kinds of languages), but I doubt it's
really what we expected of the thing.

~mark

Back to archive top level