tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 23 23:43:30 1994

Re: typical constructs

>On Tue, 24 May 1994 10:48:43 -0400, [email protected] (Mark E. Shoulson) said:

>>From: Katrin Erk <[email protected]>
>>Date: Tue, 24 May 94 15:19:45 +0200

>>I'd like to know what are typical language constucts in
>>Klingon.

> I find it easier to think in terms of purpose clauses
> ("-meH") and causals ("-mo'"), and to change the way I think of tenses to
> Klingon's aspect-marking as time goes on.

> Er, it's hard to talk about this kind of thing in general; what kinds of
> answers are you looking for?

> ~mark

That's exactly what I'm looking for: What kind of language
constructions you have to think in in Klingon. That bit about purpose
clauses and causals seems very interesting to me.
What do you do with thoughts which in English would require
complicated sentences, relative clauses over several lines etc.? Do
you just break the sentence up? Which verb or noun suffixes do you use
most often? Which other constructions do you use frequently?

btw., I tried to read a Shakespearean sonnet in Klingon and found it
extremely difficult. The relative clause suffix -bogh appeared very
often - what kinds of strange purposes can you use that for?

thanks a lot,
	Katrin

Back to archive top level