tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 22 22:12:17 1994

*maqbet* tidbit

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Fri, 20 May 94 17:39:19 EDT

>I've been thinking lately about pronominal qualification and things like
>that, (and, yes, I do have a life). I've decided that "all of us, all of
>you", etc., is best expressed by {ghommaj naQ}, {ghomraj naQ}, etc. As for
>numeral qualification, I think it'd be best if the pronoun was just
>forgotten:

>Two of us will leave; the rest of you will stay.
>{mej cha' - ratlh latlh}

>Context should usually clarify in this case. Also recall the line from ST3,
>{wa' yIHoH}. "Kill one *of them*..." The pronoun was determined by context,
>and the Klingons don't seem to bother with them anyways.

Good!  You can improve it even more by taking more out of that "wa' yIHoH"
example.  "wa'" there is used as a noun, right?  And treated as the person
it replaces.  It may sound a little strange, but I have no problem with
"mamej cha'" here for "two of us will leave."

Just a thought.

~mark

Back to archive top level