tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 17 03:55:52 1994

Re: plurality of everything

        Reply to:   RE>>plurality of everything
jatlh charghwI':
>I suggest that the rule in TKD 3.3.2, page 24 should
>take care of this. "Inherently plural nouns are treated
>grammatically as singular nouns in that singular pronouns are
>used to refer to them..." I vote for {Hoch luSov...}

Hmm, interesting.  This seems reasonable, but it leaves me
rather puzzled about a sentence I wrote a couple of days ago:
chaq mu'ghommeymajDaq 'Iw wIchaghnIS Hoch .
If Hoch is singular, then wIchaghnIS is incorrect.  But it doesn't
make sense to try to say "We all should ..." without using a first
person plural prefix, right?  "vIchaghnIS Hoch" is nonsense!  On
the other hand, I was a little uneasy about the apposition of the
subject in this sentence anyway.  How would you say "We all" as
a subject?
--nachHegh
[email protected]

Back to archive top level