tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 16 02:07:36 1994

Re: (Fwd) Re: Cinema Iliad

>i got this from the classics (greek and latin) list, where they were
>discussing making a flim of the iliad. thought you/d like to know.
>(it started an interesting subthread there.)
>
>Qapla'
>
>------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
>
>A movie of the Iliad?  Well if we want to make an original, visually
>striking movie about a warrior culture that thinks hard about issues
>of life, death, honor, and glory, and we want it to be wildly popular
>with young people and send them streaming into our classes, then I
>have two words to say, which are both my title and my (half-serious)
>suggestion of how to make the movie: "Klingon Iliad."
>Jim O'Hara

One of the first things I started to translate was the Iliad.  I got
this far and stopped.

[Achaeans]Daq Do'Ha' qempu' [Achilles] QeH 'e' yIja'neS novbe'
QeHmo' ghe''orDaq ngeHpu' tera'ngan law' yoH 'ej
     QeHmo' qorwI'mey Soppu' SuvwI' law'
jajDaq [Atreus] puqloD [Achilles]'a' je ghoHta'DI' ta'pu' [Jove] mu'mey

I do think the Iliad is a very appropriate work to translate, but when
I was just learning tlhIngan Hol I found it very difficult to work with.

              ____
             |INRI|
             |    |           Matt Whiteacre
             |    |           [email protected]