tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 12 21:09:06 1994

Re: tam poHvo'

According to Matt Whiteacre:
> I'm not sure I'd interpret "on Monday, my instructor will prove (test
> conclusively?) me" as "On Monday, I must take a final exam".  Even though I
> realize that "ghach" is not a popular suffix what about:
>
> qaSDI' "Monday", nuDghach Qav muloH ghojmoHwI'wI'
>
>              |    |           Matt Whiteacre

My problem with this is that I interpret "examine" {nuD} to
mean "to look at closely; to investigate." We call a big test
an exam, short for examination, but I think this is a very
idomatic use of the word and I don't have a lot of reason to
think that Klingons would use a nominalization of the verb
"examine" to mean a big test. His instructor is not going to
examine him. He is going to test him. It is the final,
conclusive test for the course he is taking. I think I have to
stick to a decided preference for {tob} here.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level