tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 03 09:38:00 1994

cha' Dochmey

        After posting negative things about Glen Proechel, I
got his snail-mail advertisement for all the stuff he is doing
to promote the language: Three weeks of camp, the Primer,
weddings, church services and weekend tutoring. I wish to state
that I respect him as a Hol evangelist. He obviously dedicates
a lot of heart and soul to the promotion of the language.

        That doesn't mean that I like his interpretation of a
lot of the grammar or his interest in expediting English text
into Klingon text, whether or not anyone will ever be able to
decipher the resulting babble of verbs used as nouns or the
"new" words he has created for members of one's extended
family, or for directions on the compass or such. (I personally
suspect that if Klingons ever used a compass, it would have
THREE points instead of four, though for all we know, ancient
Klingons navigated by smell... Or perhaps they didn't really
CARE what direction they went. They just headed in a direction
until something interesting happened...)

        The point is that there is room for many kinds of
people in the movement. I would not recommend any form of
discommendation for Glen in any Klingon circle, though I DO
recommend taking his more reckless grammatical opinions with a
grain of salt.

        Different topic:

        I saw FIRST BORN SON (I think) last night. While I only
saw it once and didn't spend a lot of time on it, some of what
they said actually sounded a little bit like Klingon. There was
a recognizable HISlaH during the exchange when Worf bought the
bag of worms and a couple other things sounded like words. They
did seem to be a little bit from the "talk fast enough and
nobody will notice that you can't pronounce it right" school of
Klingon.

        Has anybody transcribed this yet? Okay, okay, it IS a
TNG episode after all. Has anybody TRIED to DECYPHER this yet?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level