tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 13 03:59:44 1994

affixes(was Re: KBLC- jIbeplaw)

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Sat, 12 Mar 94 12:01:35 EST

>Another annoying Okrandism is his {naDqa'} for "recommend" in the addendum
>4.2.9. In this particular word, the "re-" does not mean the same thing as
>{-qa'} anymore. It's meaning has become archaic, and survives quite
>stubbornly in this one word. Plus, we have {chup} for "recommend, suggest."

I think you misread the text.  There's a hyphen there, "re-commend", and
the translation is explicitly marked as coming from "to commend again".
Therefore, I don't take it to mean "to recommend", but rather, well, "to
commend again, to re-commend".  That is, someone was commended once, then
perhaps discommended or just not commended, and is commended again.

>Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

~mark

Back to archive top level