tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 03 06:28:24 1994

No Subject

*BEGINNER*

Mattvo':

>Saj vIghajbe'
>be'nal wej puqbe' je vIghaj
>tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbe'
>"parrot"vaD tlhIngan Hol DaghojmoHghach DuH law'  <- Continue on next line
>               qorDu'vaD tlhIngan Hol vIghojmoHghach DuH puS
>targh [a dog] luneH puqbe'oypu'wI'

Saj vIghajbe' 'ach targh lughaj SoSwI' vavwI' je.
"Bertha" 'oH pongDaj'e'.
Ha'DIbaHmey vIpar 'ach Bertha vIparHa'.
valqu'.
Bertha ghajpa' qorDu'wIj, targh pIm wIghajpu'.
"Junie" 'oHpu' pongDaj'e'.
reH Junie vImuS.  QIpqu' 'oH. (1)
'ach valmo' Bertha vIparHa'qu'.

(1) Remember, even though a dog has gender, it does not use language,
    so one uses 'oH, not ghaH.

Arbitrarily Selected Vocabulary:

Ha'DIbaH        animal (n)
par             dislike (v)
val             be clever, smart, intelligent (v)
qorDu'          family (n)
reH             always (adv)

>Is there a better way to say that monster sentence I have?  Is what I have
>even correct?  The intension was to compare trI'Qal's likelihood of
>teaching his parrot to the likelihood of me teaching my family.

One could argue that it should be:  tlhIngan Hol "parrot" DaghojmoHghach...
(taking ghojmoH literally, you are causing the parrot to learn, you
are not causing the language to learn), but basically it is correct.
I would argue, though, that it might be a bit advanced for beginner
conversation.  One possibility might be to just flag it with an
asterisk, making your english questions about it a footnote.  This
would let people understand as soon as they read it that it is
potentially difficult.

                    --HoD Qanqor

Back to archive top level