tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 28 11:53:34 1994

Re: Invitation to a wedding

According to Nick NICHOLAS:

> => ...a Klingon's congratulations wuold be
> => somewhat different.  I haven't opened my TKD to start work, but the phrase
> => "She is yours, you are hers, kill anyone who stands between you" sounds
> => like a good start.
>
> Daghaj. Dughaj. lInISDI' vay', yIHoH.

majQa'. Much better than my suggestion.

> => Or, perhaps a little less formal 'Mate until your
> => blood screams (or untill she screams)."
>

> jachpa' 'Iwraj, penga'chuqtaH.

"Mate with each other before your blood screams."? Sounds like
the pressure must be mounting..."Quick, before your blood
screams..."

> wej jachtaHvIS 'Iwraj, penga'chuqtaH.

"While your blood not yet screams, continue to mate with each
other."  Hmmm. Not bad. That would work.

> jachchoHmeH 'Iwraj, penga'chuqtaH.

"In order that your blood begins to scream, mate with each
other." NOW, WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE!

> wej jachDI' 'Iwraj, sunga'chuq 'e' yImevQo'.

"When your blood doesn't yet scream, don't stop mating with
each other." Hmmmm. That could also be, "As soon as your blood
does not yet scream, don't stop mating with each other." I
don't know. I think {jachchoHmeH...} is the winner.

> "You may kiss the bride" would of course be rendered as:
>
> be'nallI' Dachop DaH net chaw'.

wejpuH.

> Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.   [email protected]

charghwI'

Back to archive top level