tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 22 01:14:56 1994

Klinpack, charghwI' correcting himself

>From: [email protected] (Mark E. Shoulson)
>Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 17:54:45 -0400

>>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>>Date: Wed, 20 Jul 94 18:03:31 EDT

>>> yuch SopbeHlu'.

>>Perhaps {yuch SopbeHchoHlu'} is better?

>Not really.  "-beH" means the subject of the verb is some device that is
>properly configured to perform the verb.  In this case, the subject of the
>verb is indefinite (that's what "-lu'" means; it's *NOT* passive).  So some
>indefinite something is configured...?  I'd expect that something which can
>do eating is more likely to be "-rup" than "-beH" (yes, I'd use "-rup" with
>an animal.  Well, maybe not when my parents were watching).  Maybe "yuch
>Soprup vay'" or "yuch Sopruplu'", if you must say something like that.

Actually, these don't work either.  I can't offhand think of a good way to
say "The chocolate is ready to be eaten."  I suppose circumlocutions like
"yuch wIjablaH" might help in the right circumstances, but that's not what
we want.  Hmm...

>>> charghwI'

>~mark

~mark