tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 17 22:31:25 1994

Re: qep'a'

charghwI'vo':

> I'm not sure, but I think it was janSIy who proposed the
> probable meaing behind "The fire is always hotter...", but I'm
> not sure I understood the explanation well enough to try to
> describe it here. Perhaps he can speak to it himself?

janSIy may have had one, but it was I who discussed this with you at
the qep'a'.  I was trying to explain the concept of the replacement
proverb to my wife, and she reacted, appropriately, with "what exactly
does that mean?!?"  After a few seconds of thought, I came up with the
idea.  The fire is always hotter on someone else's face.  This could
mean that, if someone else had done this embarrassing thing, they
would be more embarrassed than I am.  The "fire on the face"  might
refer to the heat felt when blood rushes to the face in embarrassment,
but of course this analysis presumes that Klingons blush, a behavior
which we have no evidence for and one which I'd find difficult to
believe.  But, it makes the proverb work.

> charghwI'

--Holtej

Back to archive top level