tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 13 06:10:12 1994

Re: Talk like a Klingon!

On Wed, 13 Jul 1994, David Barron wrote:

> I would like to propose two alternatives to "qatlh naDev SoHbe'"
> that lack any "to be" construction (something I feel one should
> avoid in order to sound "Klingon"). My suggestions are
>
> "qatlh bISaHbe'?"
>    OR
> "qatlh bIDach?"
>
> I welcome any comments.

I would defenitely prefer your constructions.  I think in general we
English speakers use the nominal constructions with pronouns far too
much, even when perfectly good tlhIngan Hol verbs exist.  In fact, I had
decided to use SaH before the convention, when I was trying to anticipate
phrases that I would use at the qep'a'.  (I was there for two days but
needed to get back to work).

By the way, you were sorely missed at the qep'a' and we toasted you in
spirit on the first night, as I am sure you heard from Hod Qanqor.

| Kevin A. Wilson                               [email protected] |
|               The sluggard says, "There is a lion in                      |
|              the road! There is a lion in the streets!"                   |
|                                             -- Proverbs 26:13             |