tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 11 14:45:19 1994

Re: Transliteration,etc. Was Re: *boHem*ngan bomnong

Sturmvo':
content-length: 1717

>Unfortunately, Marc Okrand includes some disgusting examples of straight
>transliteration....  Such as

>>romuluS< place Ch'Rihan (BTW, the Klingons would use the Fed name for a
>race they knew before the UFP!?!?!? Right.)

Ch'Rihan is strictly a Diane Duane thing; I notice you didn't
translate /vulqan/ as "T'Kasi". Since the only canonical Romulan we
know is "verrul" (as in "only a 'verrul' would use such language"), a
temperature unit that escapes me, and the name of a kind of soup that
also escapes me, we don't know that "Romulus" isn't a rendering of a
Romulan word (in FASA's RPG supplement on the Roms, the two planets
are natively "Rom'lasz" and "Rav'inz"). (As another side issue, I
don't recall in any of Duane's stories her saying the Klingons
contacted the Roms before the UFP; as far as I know that's strictly a
John Ford/FASA thing.)

>So if I wanted the Tholian Empire, following Okrand's example, I think it
>would be okay to create:
>>*tlholuS< Tholus
>>*tlholuSngan wo'< Tholian Empire.

Well, the _Star Fleet Medical Manual_ (non-canonical; what does the
_Encyclopedia_ say?) claims their homeworld is "Tholia"; also, in the
relevant episode, they refer to their territory as the "Territorial
Annex of the Tholian Assembly". I would say /DolIyya'/, /DolIyya'ngan/
and /DolIyya'ngan yej/ since Klingon "D" is phonetically closer to
English "th" than Klingon "tlh".

On a previous occasion I used /qarDaSI'ngan/ in an example, but I
translated it on the next line, so got away with it. (When will we see
fan stories about the /tlhIngan qarDaSI'ngan je boq/ of a recent DS9
episode?)

Anyway, this is just naghHommey toghghach.

-QumpIn 'avrIn, naghHommey toghwI'Hey
 [email protected]

Back to archive top level