tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 07 21:03:23 1994

Re: Age of ascension ritual

According to [email protected]:

> I was going throught the age of ascension entry in the Startrek Encyclopedia

> So that I can quote the proclamation correctly, could double check that the
> following is correct?
>
> DaHjaj SuvwI''e' jIH   tIqwIj Sa'angnIS   'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH

Looks great. I wish you worked for Paramount...

> Thanks.
>
> Also, what is the *correct* way to isolate sentances in tlhIngan Hol?  I
> added three spaces between sentances rather than the original "."'s, but
> what's official way?

Okrand never addressed the concept in TKD. Here, it is
generally accepted to use punctuation, given that we are
already using the romanized character set instead of pIQaD. The
only written examples of pIQaD exist in the movies, and that is
written by Okura, who made up the shapes of the letters and is
extremely stubborn about allowing any of those shapes to be
assigned to any letters of the Klingon alphabet. He assigns
letters for artistic reasons. His generalization is that he
always writes from the center outward, so lines of Klingon text
are always centered.

Taking a cue from that, I personally prefer to write Klingon
with one sentence per line, centered with no punctuation. The
grammatical structures are such that punctuation is rarely
needed anyway, In My Ever So Humble Opinion. Still, I just do
that because I think it is closer to Okura's ideal for the
written langauge and it looks cool (even if everybody presumes
you are writing poetry when you do it).

Meanwhile, on THIS list, people use punctuation, just like in
English. That's been further reinforced by the punctuation on
the little printed card that came with the Power Klingon audio
tape. If you use regular old periods, question marks,
exclamation points and commas, nobody will give you a hard time.

> (visit Trekmoo today via TELNET trekmoo.microserve.com 2499)

I just tried to log on to that address. It asks for an ID and
password. I tried GUEST for the ID and my Email address for the
password and was not allowed in. That's how I'm accustomed to
getting into things like this. Would you like to give me a few
more instructions?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level