tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 02 02:38:09 1994

Poem: The Victory of the Hunter

Okay, having had the subject of poetry (rhyming and un-) going through my
brain, it's small surprise that one came up and seized me and demanded to
be written (tlhIngan poetry is SO aggressive that way...).

Because my grammar is less than perfect, I've included a translation at
the end, in case something didn't come out right and you want to know
what I REALLY meant to say.  I'm sure there are some corrections
needed... Krankor?  ~mark?

This poem is meant to be a historical battle poem, about a ship named the
Hunter (not a person who is a hunter, so don't get confused).  Although it
actually does almost rhyme in some places, (yes, I know... get over it.)
most of the meter actually comes from the rhythm of the words.  Tense is
impliedly in the past, a poetic liberty which you can love or hate, I use
it.

Oh yeah, there are one or two other small licenses:

aliens is pluralized with -mey, to be insulting to their intelligence,
and to give the idea of there being a LOT of them as in a big ship.

I know jegh is a verb, and to be totally correct I would have to add
-ghach, but it didn't fit, and I figured it wasn't fatal.

lam really means dirt.  But it's close enough to mud for me.

DrujIv

==========

yay wamwI'  (The Victory of the Hunter)

HurghghachDaQ logh,
yuQmeyDaQ lam,
Duj HemmoH wo'
"Ha'!" jatlhpu' HoD'a'.

reH yay wamwI' yIqawnISneStaH.

nIteb ngIv wamwI',
nom lengvIs wamwI',
pay' HIvta' novmey.
"baH!" dachpu' HoD'a'.

reH yay wamwI' yIqawnISneStaH.

ghorlaw'ta' chachaj,
QapQo' yoDmeychaj,
jegh lupoQ novmey.
"Qo'!" jangpu' HoD'a'.

reH yay wamwI' yIqawnISneStaH.

neH QaplaH jonta',
chIch Duvta' HoD'a',
Dujmey pawchuqta'.
Dujmey Qaw'chuqta'.
"yay," Haghpu' HoD'a'.

reH yay wamwI' yIqawnISneStaH.

HurghghachDaQ logh,
yuQmeyDaQ lam,
noybej pong wamwI'.
"maj," jatlhpu voDleH,

"reH yay wamwI' yIqawnISneStaH."

===========================

The Victory of the Hunter

In the darkness of space,
on planets of mud
a ship makes/made the Empire proud,
"Onward," says the captain.

You must always remember the name of the Hunter with honor.

Alone they patrolled,
Swiftly they travelled,
Suddenly, aliens attacked them
"Fire!" screamed the captain.

You must always remember the name of the Hunter with honor.

Their torpedos were broken,
Their shields wouldn't work
The aliens demanded surrender.
"No!" refused the captain.

You must always remember the name of the Hunter with honor.

Only the engines were working,
The captain advanced on purpose
The two ships collided,
the ships destroyed each other,
"Victory!" laughed the captain.

You must always remember the name of the Hunter with honor.

In the darkness of space
on planets of mud,
the name Hunter is famous,
"Well done," said the Emperor,

"You must always remember the name of the Hunter with honor."

=======

Boy, that just loses SHITLOADS in the translation....

Back to archive top level