tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 01 00:43:29 1994

Re: poetry subject

As usual, mark beat me to the punch, but I do want to emphasize his point:

tlhIngan is NOT an adjective, it is a noun, and it means a member of the
Klingon species.  When we refer to the language as tlhIngan Hol, that
literally means "a Klingon's language" or "Klingons' language" (remembering
that nouns lacking plural suffixes can still be plural).  So tlhIngan 'oH
might be a nice way of insulting a Klingon (denying him sentience via the
use of 'oH) but it absolutely does NOT capture the intended meaning of
"It's a Klingon thing."  It has to be "tlhIngan Doch 'oH" or "tlhIngan vay'
'oH" or something like that.

		--Krankor

Back to archive top level