tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 28 22:59:46 1994

augmentative/diminutive

Ok, so now that I brought up the question of where is a tlhingan word for
"short," some of you have gone off about how {-Hom} could be used to denote
smallness or shortness.

I had always thought a bit differently about Klingon augmentatives and
diminutives. Instead of thinking in terms of "big"/"small", (a useful
convention, albeit one that imesho distorts the true meaning), I think of
them as denoters of magnified/diminished _meaning_ of a word, not its size.

To bring this idea home, look up "slave" in TKD's addendum. It's
{toy'wI''a'}. To our common notion of {-'a'} this should mean "large
servant." But instead of magnifying the _size_ of the servant, it magnifies
the _semantic value_-- one step beyond a servant, a para-servant.

Not to say we should translate {-'a'} as "para-".
{chay' tujang}

ghaytan HujwI' vIDalaw' neH

***jabbI'ID pItlh***
Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos