tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 24 22:19:22 1994

Re: Ha', Ha', Ha'

Guido and charghwI' wrote:
> Subject: Re: Ha', Ha', Ha'

> > charghwI' adds:
> >      How about:
> > Suvchuqbogh qama'pu' buSmo' 'avwI' potlhmey qImHa' 'avwI'
> >
> > "Because the guard focussed on the prisoners who fought each other, the
> > guard failed to concentrate on important things." It IS a little long
> > winded, but I think it is clear enough to be forgiven that sin.
> Guido adds:
> My question is why are we arguing this. TKD pg. 102, line 22 lists {qImHa'}
> as "disregard." So there.

charghwI':
     I noticed that AFTER my post, but before THIS post, and didn't mention
it because it already fits well with my interpretation, which I posted.

> For what marnen was trying to say, "The guard was distracted by the
> prisoners' fighting (each other)," I render it:
> {SuvchuqtaHmo' qama'  latlh qImHa' 'avwI'}
> "Because the prisoners are fighting each other, the guard disregarded other
> things."

     Let's put your suggestion next to mine:

> {SuvchuqtaHmo' qama'  latlh qImHa' 'avwI'}
> > Suvchuqbogh qama'pu' buSmo' 'avwI' potlhmey qImHa' 'avwI'

     In so far as our interpretations of {qImHa'}, we look rather similar.
No, I'll go the distance and say, we look exactly alike. We are taking the
exact same use of the word, and we seek to smoothify the rest of the sentence
by very similar means. You say, "Because prisoner(s) fought each other..."
where I say, "Because the guard focussed on the prisoners who fought each
other..." I'd call that a minor stylistic difference. Yours is more succint.
Mine is more explicit.

     You say "...the guard disregarded another thing." I said, "...the guard
disregarded important things." Looks pretty similar to me.

     I was just stricken my inclusion in a point counterpoint format when we
both seemed to be making the same point.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level