tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 24 11:16:23 1994

Re: Ha', Ha', Ha'

ghItlh charghwI'
> marqem wrote:
> > : With qIm 'pay attention', it can refer to distraction:
> > :
> > :     SuvchuqtaH qama' 'e' qImHa'pu' 'avwI'.
> > :     The guard was distracted by prisoners fighting (among
> > :         themselves).
>
> marnen added:
> > Not quite. This would mean "the guard was distracted from the prisoners'
> > fighting". I think you want >'avwi' qimHa'moHpu' qama' SuvchuqtaHghach<.
>
> charghwI' adds:
>      How about:
> Suvchuqbogh qama'pu' buSmo' 'avwI' potlhmey qImHa' 'avwI'
>
> "Because the guard focussed on the prisoners who fought each other, the
guard
> failed to concentrate on important things." It IS a little long winded, but
> think it is clear enough to be forgiven that sin.

My question is why are we arguing this. TKD pg. 102, line 22 lists {qImHa'}
as "disregard." So there.

Not to say marnen's probing into some of the more obscure aspects of {-Ha'}
aren't worthwhile, at least to a certain extent. But we already (should) know
{qImHa'} doesn't quite mean "distract."

For what marnen was trying to say, "The guard was distracted by the
prisoners' fighting (each other)," I render it:
{SuvchuqtaHmo' qama'  latlh qImHa' 'avwI'}
"Because the prisoners are fighting each other, the guard disregarded other
things."
Or perhaps {SuvchuqtaHbogh qama'mo' qImHa' 'avwI'}
"Because of the fighting prisoners, the guard disregarded (it/something)."
This one might be more useful if context would indicate what is being
disregarded.

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level