tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 16:30:13 1994

Re: KLBC

Regarding charghwI's rather lengthy translation thing for the beginners:

Because I completely agree it was far too complicated an example,
I'm not gonna spend too much time on this, however:

>     Grammarians, please correct any errors I may have introduced.

Glad to {{:-)

>"I want to write something to help beginning Klingon students."

<after much discussion>

>tlhIngan Hol ghojbogh taghwI'pu'vaD vay' vIghItlh vIneH

Slight problem here.  As given, this translates back as:

"I want to write something for beginners who learn Klingon
languages."

That's right, Klingon language*s*.  If you want it to be *the*
Klingon language (singular), you have to use the prefix that
expresses singular object for your plural subject: lu-

Thus:

tlhIngan Hol lughojbogh taghwI'pu'vaD vay' vIghItlh vIneH

Now, as a side comment to the non-beginners who want to argue style,
I don't think I would have translated "beginning Klingon students"
this way.  I just don't like taghwI' as the base noun.  They are not
fundamentally "people who begin", they are fundamentally "people who
learn", and the fact that they are early in this process is a
modifier.  How about:  ghojwI'pu' 'Itlhbe'vaD or perhaps the
somewhat more encouraging:  wej 'Itlhbogh ghojwI'pu'vaD

                --Krankor

Back to archive top level