tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 13:49:49 1994

Re: KBTP: Psalm 23

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' Mark E. Shoulson jay'?

Quite acceptable, Mark; the only thing I'd remark on is your lack of
punctuation. We don't know whether

=Hegh QIb ngechDaq jIlengtaHvIS je

modifies the phrase it prcedes, or the phrase it follows. Since you've used
punctuation in Jonah (albeit erratically), I don't see why you shouldn't
use it here.

=DavID SoQ:

not "bom"?

=QorghwI'wI' ghaH joH'a''e'

Hm. Yes. You could also say "Da" for "ghaH", but I wouldn't want to encourage
you in an E-prime crusade! ;) (Even though I've just changed all my (Okrand
sanctioned!) -Daq XNoun ghaH to -Daq XNoun tu'lu'...)

=No word for "even", so I stuck with "je" at the right place.

"je" is handy, I'll grant you; I've used it like this once or twice, though
hesitantly.

=For "evil" I avoided "?mIghghach" and went with
="mIghwI'" for "evil thing(s)".

Mpf. Don't do this too cavalierly. I've done it at times too, but -wI' with
adjectives applicable to persons is more likely to denote persons than
things.

=Coined
="SopDaq" for table, on the model of "QongDaq" which we have for "bed".  I
=know it's a verb-noun compound, but it works for me.  I probably shouldn't
=tho.

When I came to need a table, I didn't. I went with the altogether safer
SojDaq. Just because Okrand can violate his canon whenever he feels like
it... nah, I'm not getting into that again.

="You freshen my head with oil".  Ouch.  No word for "oil", etc...

I've used bIQ Huj: sticky water. (I feel no hesitation in generalising bIQ
to denote "liquid". Then again, taS may be better for that job.) The
healthifying stuff seems a bit of a stretch to me.

=I'm rather proud of "ngaSqu' HIvje'wIj", though I'm not sure why.  It's not
=too literal, but it *sounds* good for some reason.  Does *anyone* else
=think it makes any sense whatsoever for "my cup runneth over"?

I interpreted it as "my cup is full to the brim". -qu' *is* ambiguous between
"too" and "very"; then again, Greek doesn't distinguish between the two
(although it does have a word for overflow). So it only makes sense how
you meant it in hindsight, but I think it's acceptable.

=Again. QaQwI' for "good(ness)", or rather "good thing(s)".

No. A QaQwI' would be someone like an angel in my book. I'd have said "ghu'
QaQ"

I doubt qaStaHvIS *can* be overused, when we have no other way of denoting
time duration adverbials.

majQa'. I'll do your Jonah when I next get time.

   Nick Nicholas.  The Nonce and Future Linguist. University of Melbourne.
                        [email protected]
"Henry Squirrel was thirsty. He walked over to the river bank where his good
friend Bill Bird was sitting. Henry slipped and fell in the river. Gravity
drowned." --- TALE-SPIN Story Generator, James Meehan, Yale AI Lab, 1975.

Back to archive top level