tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 21 23:39:59 1994

Re: beginner

On Feb 22, 12:26pm, Al Goodnis wrote:
> Subject: Re: beginner
>

> => From: Will Martin <[email protected]>
> => Subject: Re: beginners
>
> =>      I do read it, though I have a hard time taking it seriously, even
> => when it is otherwise well formed. It is like reading a kid's writing
> => where all of the "r"s and "s"s are backwards. Marnen is not a beginner,
> => but when I read those "i"s, it just FEELS like something written by a
> => beginner.
>
>        ... and when I read how you beat on beginners it makes me want to
> throw up.
>
>         yIleS!   (Note capital I and S)
>
>                                 -qor

     We have a bit of a misunderstanding here. Marnen is not a beginner. I
got a bit rough with him because he ignores a significant standard accepted
by everyone else on the list. EVERYONE. He is the ONLY person here who
regularly uses lowercase "i"s and I was trying to be honest with him about
the effect it has on his communication with me.

     Beyond that, I do not remember beating up on any beginners. I LIKE
beginners. I'd like to have a lot more people to talk and write to,
especially those who, like myself, are not professional linguists. If my
behavior discourages beginners, please be specific. I do not wish to have
that effect. Meanwhile, this message could easily be interpreted as an
attempt to beat up on ME. Fortunately, I'm more difficult to offend than
that...

     I hope that this misunderstanding is not a widely believed opinion. If
so, please, others speak up. I will ammend my behavior.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level