tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 20:32:59 1994

"Is this seat taken?"

>From: Will Martin <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 18:39:07 EST

>I would prefer that I simply agree with ~mark on this, but as yet, at
>the gut level, I feel like he just hasn't quite looked closely enough at
>this.

>> Subject: "Is this seat taken?"
>> [charghwI' writes:]
>> >I vote yes, initially. Then again, I see the problem...
>[~mark writes:]
>> I disagree here.  I don't see a grammatical problem.  And what's more,
>> Okrand himself left the door open for me not to see it.  Says he, (TKD Sect
>> 4.2.5 pp. 38-39) "Those prefixes which normally indicate a first- or
>> second-person subject and third-person singular object ... are used to
>> indicate first- or second-person object."  Nobody said anything about the
>> third-person prefix, so it need not necessarily be reversed to be "no
>> subject" somehow.  "lu-" is mentioned separately as well...

>That's exactly my point. Look a little closer at the {lu-} example.
>That's a third person plural subject and third person singular object that
>becomes reversed to the indefinite singular third person subject and third
>person plural object. It is reversed, just like first and second person
>examples.

Aha, but note that it's mentioned *separately*, as though it's not part of
a general rule that *all* prefixes are "reversed".

>Furthermore, in the example of the use of the verb {tu'}, where NO
>prefix is used, implying singular third person subject and either singular or
>plural third person object (all combinations not covered by {lu-}), Okrand
>STILL reverses the subject and object by translating it as "someone/something
>finds IT." That is not anywhere like saying "someone/something finds." The
>implied third person singular subject becomes the third person singular
>object.

Hee.  *This* null prefix is the 3rd-person singular subject, 3rd-person
sing/pl object prefix that's being reversed.  The one on "Qonglu'" is the
3rd-person sing/pl subject no object prefix.  They may *look* the same, but
technically they're different, and we thust have a leg to stand on that the
latter one is not reversed.

Is this sophistry?  Maybe; Okrand likely wasn't thinking of such a close
reading of his text when he wrote this, but then again, we've done this to
his texts before.  I'm trying to reconcile a canonical sentence with what's
written in TKD... and it works for me.  Remember; we *DO* have a canonical
example supporting this.

~mark

Back to archive top level