tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 20:11:36 1994

Re: KLBC- Vocab. vs. Syntax

On 17 Feb 1994 14:00:02 -0800, Matt Gomes wrote:

>        Reply to:   KLBC- Vocab. vs. Syntax
>
>ghItlh Rob Lent:
>
>> I think syntax is more important than building a vocabulary from memory.
>> With the syntax, you can say whatever you want to, you just need to
>> flip through the dictionary until you find what you need.
>
>Well, it may be dependent on what kind of person you are, but I personally
>find it frustrating to have to look up each and every word I don't know.
>It's time consuming and annoying.  I've found that there are some common
>words that are good to memorize (I memorize about 10 a day).  Syntax
>should be a one time shot.  Once you've understand it, you know it.  Like
>the OVS syntax and how nouns take suffixes.  There's just more words
>to memorize than syntax (MANY more!)

While you are working on learning the vocab. and/or *qoj* syntax, don't
forget to commit the affixes to memory.  They are just as important a part
of the vocabulary as are the words.

While I am learning (I realize that sounds strange, but I am still
definitely learning the language) I started out learning a few words, then
I just those few words to work on the syntax and affixes.  While that is
happening, I try to gain a few more words a day.

Using one of the computer parsers helpful, however it does give you a big
crutch which you can get very dependant on.  It will, however, allow you to
concentrate on the syntax.  I worte one of them and have, for my own use,
tweaked it to scan a document and print out a list of the stems and affixes
which are used.  I can then use this smaller subset of the words to aid in
translating the text.  This way I still must take the time to look up words
I don't know, thus gaining a little on vocabulary.  Most posts here (except
for Krankor or Nick), use less than 100 stems and affixes.  This makes a
much simpler list to go through than the 1600 and some odd in the TKD and
others.
              ____
             |INRI|
             |    |           Matt Whiteacre