tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 16 22:57:26 1994

Re: KLBC

On Feb 16,  9:43pm, Jeremy Cowan wrote:
> Subject: KLBC
>
> mat,
>    I am not a beginner,...
> 2. Leave ALL incorrect grammar alone!  Do not correct it...

> janSIy   }}:+D                              [email protected]

     I think it is a great idea for most of us, but the Grammarians should
still correct those who are incorrect. When the rest of us do so, two things
happen:
     1. The list gets flooded with repetitious corrections.
     2. Often many of these corrections are themselves incorrect.

     The latter is especially embarrassing for the poster and confusing to
the person being corrected. I am guilty of this and make a conscious effort
to improve.

     Generally, as neither a beginner nor a grammarian, I try VERY hard to
avoid commenting on obvious errors made by beginners. The grammarians won't
miss these mistakes, so nobody needs my opinions about them. They are also
easily corrected and the beginners can learn quickly from simple, direct
correction by the grammarians AND NOBODY ELSE.

     I do jump in quickly when someone I consider to be a peer says something
I don't understand or says something in a way that would be greatly clarified
if said in a somewhat different way. By this, I mean that if I'm trying to
get somebody's content and I am unsure, I jump in with questions. Also, if I
see a trend toward a direction I think is in error, I'll jump in with my
opinion. Using {jI-} where {vI-} is needed or dropping a {'} in a word are
not this kind of error...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level