tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 16 21:05:03 1994

explicit 1st/2nd-person subjects & objects

Signing off in a letter to a non-Klingon-using penpal, I wrote
     SupIvjaj soH bongpu'lI' je

Normally we don't use noun phrases with 1st or 2nd person
subjects and objects, because the prefix makes it plain who is
referred to, and sometimes the pronoun is used as well for
emphasis.  But here I wanted to make it clear who (besides "SoH")
I was including in the implicit "tlhIH".

pobpa'pu' latlhpu' je, vuDraj vItlhob.

A related issue is such sentences as "I, your teacher, tell you
that it is so."

- marqem

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level