tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 16 19:53:00 1994

Re: this'n'that

jatlh Holtej:

>> ~mark in particular objected to my translating "butterfly" as
>> "ghargh joq" even though I argued that "joq" could mean "be
>> fluttering."
>
>And well he should.

Perhaps I should explain the philosophy behind "ghargh joq," so
we can build from a correct foundation. Okrand purposefully
avoided names for animals and food (with exceptions like ghaH,
which was mentioned in the "Ryker tries to be a Klingon" episode
and is included in TKD, before anyone asks). In coining "ghargh
joq" I was trying to come up with a way in which we could use
existing Hol to describe a particular Terran faunum (?). The
pattern I had in mind was Nahuatl, which has a rather limited
basic vocabulary but uses it imaginatively. For instance,
in Nahuatl "iron butterfly" means "airplane" (whereas in Sixties
it means "rock-group-that-sings-In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida")*.

>And, what is a butterfly to a Klingon anyway?

The same can be said about Zen Buddhism (which is where the
coinage was used, in a koan), and the Bible for that matter,
but here we are trying to express most un-Klingon concepts in
a manner Klingons would presumably understand.

>ghew moj

I'm away from my dictionary at the moment and will get back
to you on that.

-- Creede

Back to archive top level