tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 15 20:58:26 1994

"Is this seat taken?"

nutlhob Guido#1:
          *     *     *

Anyways, how do the opinions go along the lines of using {-lu'}
with intransitive verbs like {ba'}. Does {ba'lu'} mean "someone
sits." Can we also say things like {Qonglu'}, {yItlu'},
{Heghlu'}, etc.

Or not?

          *     *     *
Check your dictionary again, Guido.  -lu' has nothing to do with
the object of a verb, even though we often use it to translate
English passives.  "This subject is used to indicate that the
subject is unknown, indefinite, and/or general."  (TKD 4.2.5)  So
yes, ba'lu' does mean 'someone sits', and after the typos are
corrected the sentence
     quSDaq ba'lu''a'
means exactly 'Is someone sitting in the chair?', which is a
reasonable equivalent of "Is this seat taken?"

-- marqem

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

P.S.: This document was dictated with DragonDictate v2.0 (except
the Klingon words).  Net typing speed was 13 words per minute.
96% of the words were recognized correctly.  3% were on the list
of alternate possibilities and were selectable with a single
command, 1% required me to spell at least one letter, and 1 was
new to DragonDictate.

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos  {{:-()

Back to archive top level