tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 15 02:54:37 1994

Computer languages

>From: Captain Krankor <[email protected]>
>Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 20:00:45 -0700

>>>taHmeH "ENTER" yI'uy...

>>This is okay as it stands, *BUT* bear in mind what it means.  "Press Enter
>>in order that *it* continue."  That's an okay reading of the usual English
>>sentence, but if you're thinking of "press enter to continue" in the sense
>>of "press enter in order that *you* continue", you should have "bItaHmeH".
>>Remember: -meH clauses are a fine way to handle infinitive phrases in many
>>cases, but Klingon does *not* have infinitives.  All the verbs are finite,
>>even the ones in -meH clauses.

>Actually, this has come up before, and I'm afraid you're off-base,
>mark.  -meH verbs can indeed be unprefixed and indefinite, although
>they certainly can also be explicitly prefixed.  That does not mean
>that they are infinitives per se either, of course.  But the canonical
>example from the dictionary cheat-sheet:

>Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH     "How much do you want for that?"

Oh, yuck!  QI'yaH.  That *really* doesn't sit well with me.  Eww.  It just
doesn't seem right that "-meH" should be able to create infinitive-sounding
things just like that.  Um, the dictionary has a typo, yeah, that's it.
There are lots of typos, and... you're not buying it, huh.  OK, um, it's
clipped, yeah.  Clipped, losing the prefix "cho-" or something.  Yeah.  You
won't let me get away with that either, will you.

*sigh*  If I'm stuck, I guess I'll do the next best thing.  I can't say
that Okrand is wrong (perish the thought), but I will resolve not to
encourage such usage in my own works or in others', as a stylistic manner,
in the hopes that it will at least become less common.  So there.

>So "taHmeH "ENTER" yI'uy" does NOT necessarly mean "Press Enter in
>order that *it* continue".  I've never really liked it, but there it
>is.

I don't like it either.  Maybe we can get Okrand to come out against it and
retrofit the sentence somehow.  It probably just slipped by him.

>>'Course, then there's the question of whether or not "taH" is the best
>>verb; "bItaHmeH <<Enter>> yI'uy" sounds like a threat to me: if you don't
>>press Enter, you won't continue existing... :)

>This is a better criticism.  I think taH is wholly inappropriate
>there.  Not the right meaning of "continue".  In fact, I'm not even
>sure that any rendering of "continue", i.e. with a -taH suffix on a
>verb, isn't too literal.  I think I might do this as something like:

>vumqa'meH "ENTER" yI'uy

>After all, -taH indicates continuous, on-going action.  -qa' means to
>resume, which is really what is meant.

Yeah, I like this one best I think.  I've been reviewing my own and others'
(yes, s', charghwI'; others's looks and more importantly sounds wrong to
me, though maybe you were right about glass') use of "-qa'".  We've been
using it quite a bit for "re-" as in "again", when it really means more
like "keep going after stopping."

>>>[email protected]

>>~mark

>   --Qanqor