tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 10 20:55:49 1994

Re: computer languages.

Actually, Microsoft swiped some of the features of 4DOS (which is also marketed
as NDOS by Symantec as part of the Norton Utilities) for DOS 5.0 and up, as I
recall. Doesn't matter. 4DOS/NDOS does a MUCH better job of keeping your system
running. I've been using it for years and they'd have to pry it off my system
with a crowbar (and I have backups :D).

In essence, what you'd be doing is setting up an ALIAS file, just like you
might in Unix. What I do is create an ASCII file with lines like

jatlh echo

and then add the line ALIAS /R {filename} to my AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Then, anytime
I would otherwise use ECHO (presumably in a batch file) I can use the command
jatlh instead. It does more, but I've taken up enough bandwidth already. Email
me if you're interested in more information about 4DOS/NDOS or need help creating
aliases.

-- Creede                      .sig-less in Seattle

Back to archive top level