tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 07 01:05:16 1994

Re: {-moH}; syntax of Hoch

marqoS maH HochvaD je Dochvam ghItlh charghwI':
     *    *    *

> Good point, though {neH} does not begin a sentence like other
> adverbials. It FOLLOWS the word it modifies, be it noun or verb
> (TKD 5.4, page 56-57). As for the disambiguity, how about:
>
>            Dujmey HochvaD wa' HoD neH ghajtaH wa' Duj

     *    *    *
Would a Klingon necessarily use the -mey?  Hoch makes the plural
meaning clear.

Speaking of Hoch, what canonical indications do we have of how to
use it to modify another noun?  It is glossed as "everyone, all,
everything (n)".  In the above sentence charghwI' puts it after
the noun it quantifies.  I've used it and, I think, seen it used
(in this group) before the noun.  The same question goes for
latlh and probably a bunch of other similar words.

- marqem

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level