tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 06 20:32:31 1994

Re: pronouns as verbs

| >As far as I can tell the above forms are valid (pronouns can have
| >suffixes, so why can't they have prefixes?), but I am not sure.
|
| Well, "jIH" and its relatives are chuvmey, not verbs. Offhand, I can't
| think of any canonical examples of pronouns with verbal suffixes; on
| the list, we seem to stick to noun suffixes (jIHvaD, jIHvo'). This is
| enough evidence for me.
|
| QumpIn 'avrIn

I think you're right:  TKD 6.3 says, "...all pronouns (section 5.1)
can be used as verbs, in the sense of /I am/, ..."  That is, a pronoun
is /not/ a verb, but can be used as the /English/ verb "be".

Furthermore, the example on p.68 is:

  { pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH } = I am in my quarters

with the explanation of {jIHtaH} being, "...the pronouns are used,
followed, where appropriate, by verbal suffixes."

No mention is made of the allowability of verbal prefixes on pronouns,
since never is it said that pronouns are verbs.

--Rob

Back to archive top level