tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 05 16:26:00 1994

Re: 'ovpu'ghach

Here it is again, with interlinear translation.  It may not make much more
sense in English, but at least you'll see what I was trying to say:

'ov cha' SuvwI' Dun'
Two great warriors had a contest.
[The final "'" was a misprint.]

'etlhmo' SuvwI' wa'DIch qIp SuvwI' cha'DIch
The first warrior struck the second with his sword.
[Note, first = cha'DIch, second = wa'DIch!]

QuchDajDaq ghor'eghqu' 'etlh 'ej rIQta'be'
The sword shattered (itself) on his forehead, and he was unharmed.
["ghorqu''egh" might be better.  The emphasis is on the breaking, not
the selfness.]

SuvwI' cha'DIch qIp SuvwI' wa'DIch
The second warrior struck the first.

SuvwI' cha'DIch 'elta' 'etlh 'ach rIQta'be'chu'qu'
The sword passed straight through him (lit. entered fully), but he was
unharmed!
[I'd agree with someone's comment that -chu'qu' is overkill.]

yay Suq SuvwI' cha'DIch
[Therefore] the first warrior was the winner.

"'elta'" is an unsatisfactory rendering of "straight through", but the
only thing I could come up with.

Richard Kennaway      __\_ /    School of Information Systems
[email protected]     \  X/     University of East Anglia
                       \/       Norwich NR4 7TJ, U.K.

Back to archive top level