tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 02 21:06:19 1994

Re: Rovers and more...

| 2)  The other question was something I saw in TKD.  The sentence I was
| worried about was: yaS vIHoH...  I killed the officer.  Wouldn't it be
| better to say: yaS bIHoH?  Why would I want to say vI?  That sounds
| more like: I killed him the officer.

As I understand it, the person and number of the object must match the
object person and number of the verb prefix.  Since "the officer" here
is the object, the person is 3 and the number is 1, so the prefix must
be {vI-}.  'Sees' in English can only be used in the present
tense for third person singular, but you wouldn't say
"The officer he sees the serpent."  Unless you were an actor playing
a Frenchman speaking English ("The telephone, she is ringing!")  ;-)

--Rob

Back to archive top level