tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 29 06:29:16 1994

Re: Origins of Klingon

According to R.B Franklin:

> I recently read that Okrand based many features of Klingon on Costanoan,
> an Indian language formerly based in the San Francisco Bay area.  Does
> anyone here know what similarities Klingon shares with that language?
> Also, does anyone know what specific features of other languages Okrand
> may have used when creating Klingon?
>
> yoDtargh

Okrand gets really mad whenever someone tries to suggest what
language he based Klingon on. The truth is, he borrowed from
several languages while making a major effort at not BASING
Klingon on any specific language. People tell him that he
obviously based it on Arabic or German, or whatever, because
they see a feature there in another language they know, and
Okrand gets pissed off when he hears that.

Yes, Okrand got his doctorate based upon a study he made of a
few very obscure Native American languages in the Southwest,
but he has explicitly denied that those languages were anything
remotely like a foundation for Klingon. The language is as
original as Okrand could manage on a tight schedule.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \