tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 22 19:09:58 1994

Re: Origins of Klingon

>I recently read that Okrand based many features of Klingon on Costanoan,
>an Indian language formerly based in the San Francisco Bay area.  Does
>anyone here know what similarities Klingon shares with that language?
>Also, does anyone know what specific features of other languages Okrand
>may have used when creating Klingon?

>yoDtargh

As it turns out, he based it on many different languages, mainly Amerindian
ones, since those are the ones he's most familiar with by his linguistic
studies, as I understand it.

What I think would be neat is a etymological description of Klingon,
describing all the uses in canon, and how Okrand's backfits created all the
curious twists and weirdnesses Klingon now has. Is anyone up for writing
something like? Anyone with more info on Klingon than I?

Back to archive top level