tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 15 14:08:05 1994

Re: -lu'

According to R.B Franklin:
> If you could tell from context what "it" was, I would translate this as:
> Heghqang matlh 'e' qaSmoH.  This is assuming that {qaS} is transitive.

qaS is not transitive, but qaSmoH IS transitive. That's a major
function of {-moH}. It makes non-transitive verbs transitive
through causation. The subject of a verb with {-moH} is the
causative agent while the object of that {-moH}ed verb is the
subject of the intransitive verb stem. In other words:

<nounA> <verbB>moH <nounC>.
A BmoH C.

C causes A to B.

jIba'
I sit. "Sit" is intransitive. {ba'} is intransitive.

qaba'moH
I cause you to sit. "Sit" is still intransitive, but {ba'moH}
is transitive.

Get it?

> If they tell me there is no canonical evidence that {qaS} is transitive,
> then I would use:  {qaSmo' matlh Heghqang}

Now, THAT'S different. Hmm. Seems to work rather well, except
that you reversed the last two words for no apparent reason.
Maltz should be the subject of {Heghqang}. The way you have it
now, I'd translate it as, "Because Maltz happened, it was
willing to die." I don't think that's what you had in mind.

> or {'oHmo' matlh Heghqang},

This is gibberish because of the word order. Reverse the last
two words and it works.

> depending on whether "it" was an event (like the loss of his honor), or a
> specific object (like DaraQ's agonizer booth).

Sounds like a popular place.

> Alternatively, if "it" was unknown or unspecified, I would use:
> {Heghqang matlh 'e' qaSmoHlu'}.

That works. It is somewhat strange sounding with the indefinite
subject, but then the TKD example contains that same
strangeness. It sounds as if Maltz is rather caused to be
willing to die, since just about ANYBODY can cause this effect.

And here, you show that in your heart of hearts, you know that
the subject follows the verb.

> And if the grammarians jump my case for
> incorrectly using {qas} as a transitive verb, I would come back with:
> {qaSmo' vay' matlh Heghqang},

"Because a loyal somebody happened, it is willing to die."
or
"Because somebody's Maltz happened, it is willing to die."

Eeeeeeeew. Gotta tighten up that word order a little.

> or {vay'mo' matlh Heghqang}.

I think this is another example of how copying and modifying
can happen without the brain being engaged. I KNOW you know
better than this. You just took the last two words as a given
and copied them without thinking, right?

> I can think
> of several other examples, but I guess it really depends on what is
> making Maltz behave that way.
>
> My question is - Is {qaS} transitive?

No, it is not, but it doesn't need to be for any of your
examples.

> yoDtargh

charghwI'
--