tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 15 09:47:42 1994

Re: -lu'

On Wed, 14 Dec 1994, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 09:43:39 -0500
> >Originator: [email protected]
> >From: Jeremy Cowan <[email protected]>
>
> >-lu' has always provided problems for me so I would like to encourage
> >continuation of this discussion.  To address some of my specific problems
> >and to spur further conversation, I would like to ask a couple of simple
> >questions.  I want EVERYONE to reply.

> >1) How would YOU say, "It made Maltz willing to die"?

> matlh HeghqangmoH

Doesn't this really mean, "It is willing to make Maltz die"?

If you could tell from context what "it" was, I would translate this as:
Heghqang matlh 'e' qaSmoH.  This is assuming that {qaS} is transitive.
If they tell me there is no canonical evidence that {qaS} is transitive,
then I would use:  {qaSmo' matlh Heghqang} or {'oHmo' matlh Heghqang},
depending on whether "it" was an event (like the loss of his honor), or a
specific object (like DaraQ's agonizer booth).

Alternatively, if "it" was unknown or unspecified, I would use:
{Heghqang matlh 'e' qaSmoHlu'}.  And if the grammarians jump my case for
incorrectly using {qas} as a transitive verb, I would come back with:
{qaSmo' vay' matlh Heghqang}, or {vay'mo' matlh Heghqang}.  I can think
of several other examples, but I guess it really depends on what is
making Maltz behave that way.

My question is - Is {qaS} transitive?

> ~mark

yoDtargh